tisdag 26 augusti 2008

ENGLISH: Culture clash or merger?

Rule: You regard your own culture as everythings measure
Exception: When you lower your guard and experience a new culture

This is my fourth autumn back in Sweden so I should be used to it. My problem is of course that during the years I have been used to going back every now and then to Ireland. I have spent weeks there, working as well as renewing the friendship of my new Irish friends. But since November last year the door seems to have been closed.

I have received job offers, too many actually, but they have always clashed with something so I have had to turn them down.

During this time Ireland has insisted on keeping on changing, referendums have come and gone, the taoiseach has resigned and a new one has sworn the oath - the uninvitable flooding now affects new areas. And I am not there. The world keeps on turning - not regarding my presence at all.

It is a pity (and maybe a blessing) that we cannot be at two places at the same time. We have to make choices all the time. In the Narnia-books the Lion always cautions the children about aksing what could have happened had they made another choice. The choices we do make are the ones that matter.

I have made my choice but a part of me is yearning to go back.

Inga kommentarer: